Wednesday 15th July 2009-
Protect yourself during the hottest times of the day:
- Avoid going out at the hottest times (11 a.m. – 9 p.m.),
- Do not engage in any physical activity (sport, gardening, DIY, etc…);
- Wear a hat, light (such as cotton), loose clothing in light colours,
- Keep your home cool (close the windows and shutters during the day; open them in the evening if the temperature cools down).
Cool yourself down:
- Have a bath or a shower,
- wet your body several times a day using a spray or facecloth,
- Spend 2 to 3 hours a day in a cool atmosphere (cinemas, museums, supermarkets, shopping centres…).
Drink plenty and don't stop eating:
- Drink as much as possible – at least 1.5 litres of water a day,
- even if you’re not thirsty, drink all the same, in small amounts,
- Avoid drinking alcohol, coffee and sweet drinks,
- Give priority to cold foods with a high water content (fruit, salads, vegetables, etc…).
Ask your doctor or chemist for advice:
- Before taking any medication, even if on sale without a prescription,
- if you experience any unusual symptoms.
- To help the elderly, children and babies to hydrate themselves,
- to contact, either for yourself or anyone in need:
The Mairie’s Department of Social and Leisure Activities (93 15 28 83),
The Gerontological Coordination Centre of Monaco (toll free number: 8000-6000).